Thursday, April 9, 2009

This and That

This lat week and a half has been busy to say the least. I think the last time I posted Adam had just broke his foot. That in itself was REALLY a bummer. He has been training to run a marathon in May with Dylan, now he can't even walk. To top that off Adam woke up on Sunday morning with his leg purple and hot, he drew an outline of the area and said he wanted to watch it because it might be a blood clot. After a few hours it had spread and he was pretty sure it WAS a blood clot and he needed to go to the ER. We went in and after a few hours it was confirmed that he did indeed have a blood clot in his leg. This was terribly scary to me because a friend of mine had died of this very thing in December. It was a close one but Adam was allowed to come home from the hospital and give himself injections twice a day. Adam will now be on blood thinners for at least the next 6 months, so he is forbidden from any activities that may cause him to bleed. For anyone who doesn't know Adam well this pretty much excludes anything he likes. The man is a daredevil and pushes his body hard all the time. To say he is going stir crazy sitting around the house would be a huge understatement. Poor guy is now bordering on insane.... and isn't it convenient that this would happen and render him pretty much unable to get around just at the time Zander can be considered fully potty trained? See we had this deal. I would take care of all dirty diapers, and crying babies, but once they were potty trained it would be his job to take the kid to every public bathroom in the United States. With Adam hobbling around on crutches I don't have it in me to force him to go to the bathroom every time we go anywhere, or get out of the car to let the little guy pee on the side of the road 10 minutes after we start any car trip (even if I do make him go immediately before departing... the kid is like a dog, must mark his territory)

We are still "living" with my in laws, though surviving is a more accurate word for what we are doing. Adam has applications in to law schools from Hawaii to Arkansas, and we can't really even rent a place until we know where he will get in. We had hoped to know by now, but the process is slow, and we are still waiting. It looks like it will be middle to late May before we get answers from all the schools, so we are kind of stuck staying where we are until then. It is hard, very hard. To live with parents after years of being independent is a struggle, add kids into the mix and it is nearly impossible. We are often told what time to go to bed (or at least be out of the living room/ kitchen area), showers and laundry are a big source of contention.... I feel like these things are necessary, but my father in law doesn't really like the water consumption. They are not used to living with kids and often get angry or undermine our parenting, and really we can't parent our children in this environment. Our kids don't have a bedroom, Zander sleeps in a playpen and Aidan on an air mattress in the office, so if they need to use their office I will find everything piled into the playpen. Plus I can't put the kids to bed if they are using the office, I can't send the kids to their room, Nap time and quite time just don't work without a bedroom... it is very frustrating. I have recently been limited to me and the kids being in the living room for more than 2 hours a day because my father in law needs to be able to sit on his couch and watch his tv in peace. I can understand this, but I just have no place to go. I already take Zander to the park at least once a day, often more. We go out as often as possible, but with no income there are not that many places I can go........ OK, enough of the whining!

There has been alot of joy in my life lately also. Adam and I are closer than ever. I am so glad we found each other and fell in love. He is my best friend and my rock. Zander has grown out of alot of his bad "babyish" behaviors, and has turned into a truly awesome little boy. He is the most loving little guy I have ever seen. There is nothing better in his book than snuggling with his mom and dad. In fact I was laying on a towel at the playground the other day and instead of playing with the other kids Zander spent about 15 minutes just laying with me and talking about clouds and birds. He is super smart, and not just book smart... he is so logical. He understands so much! He talks up a storm, and he is not shy. He often goes up to other kids and says "Hi, I'm Zander, I'm 2!" He has Aiden Tanner's giggle, which is by far the cutest giggle I have ever heard in my life! He has successfully wrapped every member of our family around his finger, and the best part... he doesn't take advantage of the situation!

My favorite thing in the past week was a few nights ago Zander had a rough night and didn't want to go to bed. He was crying and calling for us after I put him in bed, saying he wanted to snuggle and Adam said "let me get this one". He went and sat by Zanders bed and sang songs to him until the little guy just fell asleep. It was the most heartwarming thing I have heard in a very long time. There is not much that makes me happy like seeing the father-son bond these two have!



Adian went to get his cast of last week and was so very excited. We went all the way in to Tempe, and he was brave as could be through the grinder saw they use to cut the cast off. When they did the follow up X-Ray to be sure his 2 broken bones had healed up just right I got a bad feeling. The Dr. came back in and told us that 1 of the bones had healed up, but the other was not quite ready yet, so the told him they would have to put another cast on. The poor guy was devastated! He did get a few minutes to wash his hand and arm 3 or 4 times, because THAT is what has been driving him the most crazy, then they asked him what color he would like, he was mad and said "I don't want any color, I don't want a cast" Then the smart tech told him that they just got in the new glow in the dark cast and made his day. So he now has a nice, clean, glow in the dark cast on for the next 2 weeks, when they will X-ray it once again. We really hope that THIS time the poor kids bones will heal fully and be ready to be used without any more casts!

1 comment:

Adam said...

Love you, Jenny. Always! XOXO