Sunday, September 9, 2007

How in heavens' name to kids with older siblings ever make it???

Aidan loves his baby brother so much. He tells me thank you all the time for giving him a brother, and he wants nothing more than to help, and to take care of little zander. He has often offered to babysit (yeah right!) sweet but just not gonna happen!
So yesterday morning I woke up at 6:30 with no baby in my bed! For the last 15 months zander has woken up pretty much every morning between 5 and 5:30 (thanks to my husbands early riser genes!) and comes to bed with me to nurse and cuddle. Yesterday when I woke up at 6:30 and relized he wasn't there I paniced. The only reason I could think of for this change in schedule was that one of those cute stuffed animals that I let him sleep with against my mothers advice had smothered him.....(ok, I am not always logical at 6:30 am) so as I got ready to rush in to his room preparing for the worst I heard Aidan laughing in the living room. I went out there to find Aidan and Zander playing and having a ball! Aidan looked at me and said "mom, I got Zander up so you could sleep in, I have been taking care of him.... we even ate breakfast!" I said thank you to aidan, and told him how sweet he is, and then asked how exactly a boy who cannot even reach over the crib could get the baby out of the crib, he said easy, zander stood up and hung his arms over and I just grabbed them and pulled! Oh my gosh, I w as trying to subtly check to make sure that zander's arms still worked while telling aidan how smart the 2 of them were! ( I did later show him a better way to get zander out and explain the dangers of dislocating babies arms) All I can say is wow! It is a miracle that older kids don't kill off our younger ones in an attempt to help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! We have been amazed at not just older siblings killing the younger ones, but us inexperienced parents as well. Actually, there are some times when we feel like killing them ourselves, but then they look up at you with those beautiful big eyes and we just melt. I know we love our kids as much as you love yours. We are really enjoying your blog!

Dirk & Rachel.