Tuesday, April 29, 2008

To honor a fallen soldier

Zander ran in the .42 mile Kids run, very cute :)


I have gotten quite a bit of negative comments from ignorant people about the Pat Tillman Foundation which we have been supporting. People are angry that he gets so much publicity, and I agree that every fallen soldier is just as important as Pat was, but his family happened to have the money to build a foundation, and advertise, and put on events, so his name just keeps popping up.
Pat Tillman was a football player for ASU and was offered a spot on the AZ Cardinals. He turned down that shot at pro football to go and fight in Iraq, for what he believed in..... just for that I think he deserves a ton of respect. While over there he was killed, they think by friendly fire.... it was a injust thing to happen to anyone, every soldier that dies, or has died fighting for our country should have the same admiration, and I think they do, most are just not quite as "out there" in the media as Pat is.
My whole family when down and ran in the 3rd annual Pat's run last week. It is an amazingly fun event. It is 4.2 miles (as 42 was his # with the ASU football team) the race ends on the 42 yard line of the ASU staduim, and the energy is just amazing. I am not usually a patriotic or emotional person, but this will get to just about anyone! As I was running, pushing Zander in his jogging stroller, I was passed by the Tempe police force, singing some song about Pat, and then what really got me was his army troop, running in Phoenix in full combat gear, also singing as they ran. There were quotes and pictures of Pat all along the race course, I found myself crying a few times in the hour it took me to run it, but it was a good crying, more of an admiration for the man that he was, and what the world lost out on.






Here are our official times, this year we suffered no major mishaps like last year, when sweet little Aidan Wolfe ran through the finish line, and kept on going, all the way across ASU campus, and up to the top of the parking garage before he relized something was not right..... all this time his mom was in a major state of panic, with 12,000 people there, about 500 of them little blonde boys with the exact same shirt on I thougth we would never find him... we had a better plan in place this year!
Adam Staley 31:09
Aidan Wolfe Staley 1:22:02
Aiden Staley 50:51
Dylan Staley 37:13
Jen Staley 1:00:26
Lyndsay Staley 50:45


Here is a video for your enjoyment



2 comments:

♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

oh wow....how awesome! great sharing! and i come from a Military Family - i think it is awesome - completely!

so glad you found me...i havent been blogging on a reg lately - but im trying - work has been crazy!

I will def add you to my list - and check out some others on my page - some are HILARIOUS!

(hug) new blog-a-licious blogger friend!

a-licious
xoxoxoxox

Glacier International Photography said...

Hi thanks for the post, yes Stephen is a good friend of mine and I am his photographer down here though I did not meet him until 2002 in Oregon where he lives now so I never got to see a Long Wongs show but I own the double cd Live at Long Wongs and he comes back and plays here all the time.

Matter of fact his new cd White Balloons is coming out this June and he's having a cd release party and show at the Last Exit on June 6th and 7th.

You just missed him this time unless you were there. He played Last Exit last Friday and then up in Jerome on Saturday. We had to get up early Sunday morning in Jerome because I had to get him back down to the Valley to catch his flight which was a little early for me but aw well what can you do.

Take care!