Saturday, May 30, 2009

3 years


Today my baby boy turns 3! This is a bittersweet day for me. I will never be a mother to a 2 year old again. He is leaving his baby years behind and jumping feet first into the world of little boys.


Yesterday Adam and I spent the day just enjoying Zander. Adam has class today, so Zander and I are on our own until about dinner time. We started the day off taking Zander swimming at the apartment swimming pool. The 3 of us spent most of the time in a barely warm jacuzzi, which felt great considering the outside temperature! We talked, snuggled, and played in the water. When we were all waterlogged and hungry we came inside for lunch... Zander ate 2 entire low fat hot dogs, and 2 string cheeses... all dipped in lots of ranch of course. After that we went out together and ran a few errends. We asked Zander what he would like for his special birthday dinner, and he replied with "Meat!" We tried to get a little bit more than that, but apparently as long as it is meat he doesn't care. I think we settled on homemade meatballs, and Zander was pretty adament that he gets a cake. I am not really having a party for him yet... Adam's kids want to be with us for that, and we want them here to, so we are holding off on the party for a month or so when we can all be together. I did get Zander a few presents to open on his birthday, but they are mostly things he NEEDS anyway, like new shoes and arm floatie's for the pool. I will get him some real presents when we have the party... so I wasn't even going to get a cake yet, but he REALLY wants it, so we went to Safeway today and ordered a small one. That was interesting.... I thought it would be nice to let him pick out a design, since I can in no way match last years cakes.. when Lyndsay and I made him Dory and Nemo cakes, with the pretty fondant and everything.... not having a kitchen this year has cramped my style! Zander loved just about every cake we looked at... it was pretty hard to decide between Dora, Spiderman, Lilo and Stitch, and so many others. We finally found a Spongebob cake that Zander liked more than the rest (mostly because they were on a BEACH, and he loves the beach!) That was the easy part... then I had to convince him that we did not need to take home the display to ensure that he would get his cake.... he was sure there was no way it would still be there when we go back tomorrow!


Zander's birthday was great. His main gift from mom and dad was a fancy new race car bed! He has slept in a pack and play for almost the last year, and was really busting out the top and bottom! Zander and I located the perfect bed on Craigslist and went to pick it up. He was so excited when he saw it, and the nice man we bought it from had it all set up, with sheets and a lightning McQueen blanket that he threw in... the minute Zander saw it he took his shoes off and snuggled under the covers! We got it home, and I dragged it up the stairs and set it up all on my own. When bedtime rolled around he was so excited to sleep in it that he didn't get up a single time! For Dinner he wanted porquipipine meatballs and mashed potatoes, so I got to work giving him just what he wanted for his big day. When I went to mash the potatoes I relized that there was nothing in the house that we are staying in to do the job. Always creative I decided to just use the blender.... Do NOT try this! Adam and Blake thought I was making drinks, and were not that happy with the potatoes that looked closer to soup than potatoes..... but everyone ate with big smiles!

It is a funny feeling to watch my last baby grow up. I love seeing him meat all of his goals, but at the same time it is a bit heartwrenching to move him out of a crib, have him totally potty trained, and communicating anything he needs. I know I will never experiance any of this again, and it is just a little bit hard, but not hard enough to keep having babies!



It is amazing to watch my baby go from this tiny baby who almost didn't make it


Here he is as a Newborn, then at 1 year, 2 years....



To thos BOY who runs, jumps, falls, and loes being a big boy!
and 3!!

Happy birthday baby boy, you are truely the light of my life!