Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The journey of Homeschool

First of all I want to say thank you to Misty for all her help in getting me started in Homeschooling. My husband's ex wife Jenna deserves a thank you to, for giving me lots of info on how she home schooled for years, and for being willing to share that with the wife of her ex husband of all people! I think without you two I would still be sitting at my computer crying over where to start.

Our first week of homeschooling went fantastically. Aidan was excited and ready to learn. We went to the store to get some basic workbooks (our budget is severely limited so I just can't afford expensive materials). We looked at the 3rd grade books first since that is where is "belongs" We flipped through them all and he said he knew all of that stuff. I was snotty and said "sure you do" and holding the books asked him questions from all throughout the books. Yep he got them all right, so we moved on to 4th grade books. The grammar book for 4th grade had some new material for him, so there was a start, but math, he again proved to me that he knew how to do everything in the book, so on to the 5th grade section we went. There we finally found a challenging math book for him. We also picked up a word game book, a brand new notebook, and were on our way.

We start each day as if we were going to school, Aidan must have a good breakfast, get dressed, clean him room, and brush his hair and teeth before 8:30. This is not much of a problem for a kid that is never asleep past 6.

Math is usually first, and since it is all new material that is where he usually needs help from me, so we sit together and do our work, I work on my homework and go back and forth helping him out. Then he does grammar and the word games mostly on his own. After that, which normally takes about an hour and a half he gets a break. With his ADHD this is a long time for him to stay still, so he gets a snack and is allowed to ride his bike or go to the park for an hour. He comes home for lunch, then we do his reading. he is reading The Divide by Elizabeth Kay right now and will do a report on it when we are done reading it. He is also required at least 1 page of handwriting practice a day. this is usually a letter to someone, or a story to keep in his journal.

Handwriting is our biggest challenge. I still don't know how to improve his handwriting other than practice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

This has not been without challenge, believe me. One day last week we wanted to go to the library and find a good book to read, and some science ideas. We are living with my in laws in Anthem South, AKA the middle of nowhere, so it is a half hour drive to the nearest library. We got there, we found books and ideas, then went to check out and they said I was not eligible for a library card because I have no proof of address stating that I live in Pinal county. Of course I don't, we are only staying here until mid feb. or March, and we are staying with family so we have no utilities in our name. They recommended I mail a letter to myself for proof of address, but that is not something that can be done right then and there. So I had my normal breakdown and cried in the parking lot, then we pulled it together and the rest of the day went fine.

There has been days that Aidan has decided to test his limits and throw a fit about how it is "just not fair" that he has to do all this work..... actually he is sitting quietly in a corner at this moment due to that attitude. He spent last weekend with his dad, who is a teacher, but much like every other divorced dad I know it is party time at dad's , so he comes back mad that I won't let the Party continue.

Living with family makes anything structured hard. The TV is always on, there is nothing I can do about that. We are assigned to 1 bedroom that is "ours" and Adam is often studying in there.

But no matter the struggles or hurdles, we are going to make it, and we are going to have fun if it is the last thing I do!

No comments: