Monday, February 16, 2009

Love at first sight...



Is it possible to fall in love with a car? Well if so I am head over heals about the car we just bought. To be understood I have to back up a long way..... In Feb of 2008 we traded in our beloved Nissan Armada for a minivan... the payments were half the size, the gas mileage was much better, there were expensive things that we knew were starting to go wrong with the Armada, but dang it I loved that car! I went to the car dealership with a pretty heavy heart... I DID NOT want to drive a minivan, I know that is just stupid, but I just never liked mini van's in general. As we pulled up we saw a line of minivans and I said to Adam "you pick the best one, Just not red" Of course the red one was the only one on the lot that had any extra storage or features, so we got the red one :( I actually cried when I handed over my set of keys to the Armada.



I actually got used to the van over the next couple of months, and even started to like it a little bit, then one day out of the blue a young guy who was not paying attention slammed into me at a stoplight. The van was totalled, Zander and I were both injured, and I was (still am) M-A-D!!! So after months of dealing with the insurance policies that we had, we are still dealing with them, we found a old used van on craigslist that we could pay cash for. It was very basic, and the guy lied to us like crazy when we bought it. For instance I told him that we had 5 kids, and that we were going the next day to get all the kids, and this man, who was a child case worker for the state, sat there pretending he cared, but knew that we would find out the hard way, when we put the kids all in that 1 pf the back seats was completely broken. This was only 1 of the many things we found out about this car. I drove it for a few months, but could never shake the feeling that the car felt so breakable, like it would not protect me at all in a crash. I have been a bit paranoid since my life was shattered by some guy not paying attention, and there was nothing I could do to avoid this accident.






So, finally last week we sold the van (after fixing it up and showing the new buyers exactly what was wrong with the seat) and traded Adam's big gas hog diesel truck in for my new best friend....... a 2005 GMC Yukon! It is in perfect condition, the miles are low, it is still under warranty, the seat all work, and it has seat belts for 9 people! I am so happy with this car. It is hard to go down to 1 car, but it is so worth it for this car! The first time we took Adam's parents out for a ride they said "hey look, room for 2 more kids" It was funny how we both gave them simultaneous looks of death and said "not on your life" It is such a great feeling to drive something that feels "solid" like if someone hit me it would not crumple into a little ball of metal....... maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but hey, can you blame me!?!? Oh, and an added perk, the front row has a bench seat, so I can slide over and snuggle up to my sweetie while we are driving..... I am certain that front row bench seats are good for a marriage!
Here is the inside view, complete with a cute sleeping baby :)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Yay for you and your new car! I finally got a new (new to me) car too. Remember my sad little green car that I had been driving around? (we named him George:)) Well some very awesome friends sold us there mini van (cause she hates mini vans too!) I have to admit, I am not a huge mini van fan but it is awesome to have a newer, reliable car. We have never had a car that was less than 10 years old (I know that is very sad) but this one is a 2005! and it sits 8, enough for us and a friend! I am happy for you Jen.