Saturday, November 29, 2008

Heartbreak and thankfulness

I have a friend, I won't mention her name, but her life situation has been similar to mine. She was married before, and had kids during that marriage; it ended with an ugly divorce shortly after my marriage to Ryan ended. We went through the trials of single motherhood, dating, dealing with angry exes, and loneliness together. I found my dream man fairly quickly as far as these things go, and felt bad to be leaving her behind in a way. About 2 ½ years later she finally remarried, after a few casual relationships and one serious one that didn't work out. I was so happy for her. Her new husband had kids, her kids got along great with his kids, it seemed perfect. She was there for me when Adam and I lost our first baby together, and was overjoyed when I got pregnant with Zander…. Even more overjoyed when she found out she was having a baby about a month later! We got to go through pregnancy together, both of us having our youngest kids being 7 at the time it kind of felt like we didn't know what we were doing.

I have just learned that her marriage is ending; this breaks my heart on so many levels. Her kids will not only go through another divorce, but this time they will be losing family members for good. They will likely never see their stepdad or stepsibling's again. They are very close to their siblings; they are heartbroken, as is my friend.

This has made me so grateful for what I have been blessed with in the way of my family. I adore my step kids, and losing them would be like 3 of my children dying at once. I never try to be their mother, they have a great mother, but I think I play a pretty important role in their lives. I know that they love me, and I think of them as my children. I worry about them when we don't hear from them for a few days, and my house is defiantly empty when they are not here. Aidan would be devastated if he lost them or if he lost Adam, and I think that Adam would feel the same.

Adam and I have a great solid relationship. We are truly best friends, and even though our marriage has been put through quite a few trials during the last 2 years (adding a baby to the mix, selling our house and having to stay with my parents, Adam breaking his back and needing to make a huge career change, I could go on and on) I honestly think that we have and will continue to get through each of these trials as partners and friends, both committed to making this marriage last forever. I have no doubt that we will always be together, but seeing my friend, whose life has closely mirrored mine, (heck she even decided to go back to school this year after I did) has made me think about how lucky I am to have the awesome family that I do, and I will remember to tell them today and every day that I get a chance to just how much they mean to me.

My prayers go out to you sweet friend, no one should have to go through what you face right now, and for the next few years. You will get through it and come out a stronger and better woman. Mr. Right will walk into your life one of these days and sweep you off your feet. You deserve a lifetime of happiness, and you will get it. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad. I said a prayer for your friend and everyone involved.